Sunday, February 17, 2019

Challenge Day 5

February 17, 2019 Sunday

I am starting with a detail shot because it is the focus of this challenge: stitches in time.

Process: After selecting a rag from the rag bag that was just increased with a contribution of underware, I chose a simple, classic white pair of women’s panties. I spent 15 minutes or so looking and thinking about what I wanted to do with the object and stitches that I could take just about anywhere to turn it into an art project worthy of this challenge.

Seeing the stained crotch, I eventually decided not to shrink from it and find, instead, a way to elevate it for today’s project. I found in my thread box some red and pinkish red thread that would surely draw viewer’s attention and reactions. I created basting stitches on which I could weave the red threads similar to the way I approached the Day 2 project’s bundle band weaving. The process brought up a lot of memories, unexpected feelings and thoughts, and scenes from recent documentaries and movies I watched this past week. I wrote about this reaction in a private journal documenting this project (I need to think about why these thoughts needed to be private) and I concluded that today’s project feels more like “conceptual art” to me.


Challenge Level: 9, for the challenge it presented to my zone of comfort knowing that I committed to publicly posting my day’s challenge work.

Lessons Learned: I have a bit of an aversion to making and/or publicly displaying conceptual art that is so personal. What is the reason why I created something so personally challenging so soon in a 100-day challenge? I am glad I persisted and let go of my “inner critic talk” to keep the project going, allowing my instincts to take me where it may. 

2 comments:

  1. What a difference looking at the close up first, then the full piece. This feels like a 'coming of age' statement and I can see how it might have very personal feelings for you. Good for you...pushing your comfort zone and allowing yourself to dig deep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was more inspired by a documentary of the women of India in present times who are banned to seclusion when they are mensturating. A man fabricated a period pad machine and taught them how to make pads in mass quantities because they were bleeding through the rags they used and could not afford any thing better. The men and boys in the village had no idea what the word “period” meant and the girls wouldn’t talk about it openly. It was so shameful for the women and the men who knew about the “evil” aspect that banned them to seclusion each month. But the period pad machine they were given changed all that and made enough to sell then started a business. I am pretty sure the documentary was made in this 21st century, maybe in they 2010s. So...we haven’t come a long way, baby. The documentary (30 min) is called “Period. End of sentence.”

    ReplyDelete