Sunday, February 17, 2019

Challenge Day 4

February 16, 2019 Saturday


Inspiration. I have hundreds of these disposable paper funnels. Don’t ask why; I ‘should’ use them.

Process: I took two of these paper cones and used a wooden shishkebob stick to punch holes that I imagined I could create a ‘nice’ pattern. I punched randomly, then selected—with some thought but not much—a skein of yellow and one of blue embroidery thread from my stash. I found a needle with an eye big enough to accept the end of the thread and started the continuous blue line you see across the bottom. I followed that with a yellow line, which quickly showed me that the shape of the cone  was going to severely restrict my access as it narrowed. Hmmm. You can see from the photo that I did whatever I could to get some stitch treatment at the narrow end. A disaster; but, the challenge included, for me at least, a learning component and I was learning. 

When I used all of the pre-punched holes, I was glad to quit and to take the second cone to use as a ‘lining’. At least I’d anticipated the need to cover or protect the knots I made on the inside of the top cone. I used an easy stitch to pull the rolled edges of the large opening of the two funnel cones together, which worked to strengthen the whole project in terms of handling as an art object. 

Challenge level: 7, because of the difficulty in sewing (or embroidering) in a narrow, tube-like space.

Lessons learned: Come up with a plan before you start punching holes in a pre-formed paper cup, especially if you are going to use a needle to decorate the cup with thread. Don’t give up; keep trying new strategies (if it seems worthy of your time). Come up with a different project for using an over- abundance of something or give it away/sell it!!!






2 comments:

  1. You won't like every piece you do but at least you can learn from those pieces too. Each challenge will be a lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It is hopefully similar to everything in life. There are endless lessons to learn throughout our entire life from an endless array of events, situations, experiences, relationships, endeavors, and observations. That’s what I love about living. Sigh “-)

    ReplyDelete