Saturday, February 23, 2019

Challenge Day 11

February 23, 2019 Saturday



Process: I was getting ready to paint and noticed a piece of thin copper sheeting tacked to my studio wall. I suddenly decided I wanted to stitch into a sheet of the metal, then I thought of using wire to make the stitches, then that turned into a thought of selecting something from my found rusty metal objects stash, then I found a piece of black fine grit sandpaper. It fell together that quickly - 5 or 10 minutes of gathering the materials as my mind sped along. I stacked all the pieces together as you see in the photo, except I cropped out the larger copper sheet from the photo because it was not flat.
I used my metal awl to punch two holes through the sheets of metal and sandpaper after lining up the rusted wires to where I wanted to push them through. I studied the wire arrangement and made minor adjustment to show their best features. I took photos of the final artwork and chose the one that looked best—it’s all about the photos of our art work, isn’t it??

Challenge Level: 3

Lessons Learned: I learned not to give up on my ability to get spontaneous ideas even when I’d given up on today’s project and almost let myself ‘skip’ this day. TRUST myself.

3 comments:

  1. I'm behind on commenting, but am enjoying your challenges. Dental floss is a wonderful 'string' to use and I do love that piece. I can see it as a book cover. The beads and bamboo disks is very nice. Is it something you'd revisit to make it stronger or just let it be a 'lesson'? This rusty piece is very interesting. I wouldn't have thought of wires for stitching, but why not? And the teabag 'mobile' is a great window ornament. Your variety is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lynne. I had a good conversation with Mary Lou on our Saturday walk yesterday about larger goal for the 100 days. I believe it is to step back and take a good look at 100 pieces of art that I created and consider the themes of the lessons I wrote about. I hope that kind of reflection will bring me to a better understanding of what I want my art—over the next 20 or 30 years—to be for me. What process and material give me joy and motivation to get up every morning and take me out to my studio to play. Maybe that is it. I already see that many of the 11 objects I’ve posted contain that important ingredient of playfulness. And I notice that I am not repeating materials or process, or, if I am, I am fine tuning something. That may be something to not think about too seriously right now; I want these project ideas to come to me spontaneously on the day that I make them. This one - Day 11 - is one of the best examples of that so far. I am already quite spontaneous like that and the 100-day project may solidify that approach for the rest of my days of art making. So, willl I revisit the bamboo disks and beads? I doubt it. It ended up not being joyful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll want your artwork to bring you joy. This 100-day challenge will really help you explore so many possibilities and ideas, yet encourage your spontaneous approach to art... and life!

    ReplyDelete